Brasov was firstly attested in 1235 under the name of Corona, later Barasu-1252 and then Brasov-1288- as the most important city in Transylvania that dominated the economy in the 14th -17th centuries.
According to the oldest document (1353)- Brasov Basis Privilege- released by the State Archive, commercial activity was flourishing, the city being famous for the quality of merchandise but most of all for the weapons they made there.
Strong guilds, among which the leaders were the Goldsmiths, Weavers, Tailors (Clothiers), Armourers, Black Smiths, Copper Smiths and Tin Smiths made Brasov not only a transit point but a flourishing trade center.
The walled city was built according with the highest standards of that time; bastions and defense towers were completed by warehouses, market squares, workshops, shops, inns, churches and hospitals. The old city of Brasov set a following example of the existing resources organization and exploitation. Several old buildings were preserved among which:
The Black Church (finished in 1477), the largest gothic basilica in the south-east Europe, with the biggest concert organ in the country, hosting classical preclassical concerts every week, the most famous being The Christmas Concert. Opposite the church there is Johannes Honterus - a famous German humanist- statue.
The Old Square with Counsel House (15th century), the most known effigy of the city, nowadays the History Museum of Brasov hosting archeology, medieval, modern and contemporary history.
Scheii Brasovului - the oldest and most spiritual part of the city, keeps with sanctity the ancient testimonies of Brasov civilization since the Dacian era. The ancient inhabitants were skillful merchants passing through Moldavia and Walachia as well as Egypt or Syria. They created a cultural and spiritual centre to remind us our roots as a people.
St. Nicolae Church, a monument of orthodoxies, built and preserved by 27 Voivodes is the architectural testimony of the Romanians’ faith. The Deacon Coresi, who printed the first book in Romanian language in 1570, has his statue posted in St. Nicolae Church’s yard.
The First Romanian School also located there, hosts several objects in the history of printing such as old manuscripts, first editions and several works printed by Deacon Coresi. A classroom hosts an exhibition dedicated to Brasov’s youths.
Bartholomew Church - the oldest roman and gothic building in the city, built in 1228 by the monks. On the southern part it used to be a sun dial.
Bastions, towers, fortifications on the south-west part of the city among which The Weavers Bastion is considered to be a unique building in Romania, the best preserved from all 7 bastions of the city in the 16th century. Nowadays it hosts an pavilion exhibition of National Museum of Brasov which presents the Old City other fortifications scale model.
The Graft Bastion
The Clothiers Bastion
The White Tower built in a semi-circular form to resist the fire attacks and The Black Tower, the oldest one built in square form; known as key points in the defense chain of the old city.
Dupa Ziduri (Behind Walls) is a part of Brasov’ medieval walled city.
The Old City of Brasov - a fortified building in wood and stone -nowadays a special restaurant-; it was modernized in the 18th century to resist the cannons attacks. Brasov reunited almost all architectural styles in European architecture beginning with gothic medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical, eclectic and new art.
Schei Gate built between 1827-1828, in classic style has the form of a triumphal arch.
Catherine’s Gate a state of art built in 1559, the four towers represent the free old city statute and the life and death prerogative owned by the magistrate of the city towards the inhabitants (ius gladii).
The Museum of Art hosts an outstanding collection of Romanian and international artists’ masterpieces, among which the most recent were Dali and Miro.
Museum of Brasov comprise with several rare collections, Mureseni House Museum keeps numerous time’s testimonies among which the first Romanian political newspaper, “The Gazette of Transylvania” which has been publishing since 1838.
Brasov is an important industrial, cultural and business centre as well as a University centre with tradition. Due to the numerous historical and artistic monuments, Brasov is one of the most important tourist centers in Romania.